period of the site: The British mandate period (1917-1948 AC)
The Transfiguration church lies on the peak of Mount Tavor, it is one of the
most beautiful and fanciest catholic churches in the land of Israel. Its name
is derived from the story of Jesus and three of his trusted students climbing
up a high mountain ( later identified as Mount Tavor) from the New Testament ,
in this location Jesus has transformed himself in front of the three students
,and from it the secrecy of the location.
The Transfiguration Church was inaugurated in the year 1924 and was founded upon
the remains of the ancient, byzantine and crusaders churches. At the church's
side there is a monastery where Franciscan monks reside. Adjacent to the Catholic
Church there is a Greek church named after the prophet Elijah. This church was
built in the year 1760 upon the remains of an earlier church from the crusaders
period (1099-1260 AC). The Church of Transfiguration is considered to be one of
the most important churches in the Christian world.