The Ottoman walls were built over a period of 90 years, from 1750 – 1840. The first wall was built by Dahar El Omar between 1750-1751, the wall stands at 13 meters high and is a meter wide. This wall has two gates, “the Land Gate” on the eastern corner, and “The Sea Gate" at the southern part of the city leading to the port. These ports were strengthened between 1775-1779.
El Jazar and his successor kept strengthening the wall after the siege between 1800 – 1814, so it would stand an artillery attack. These fortifications consisted of a shielded wall, a defensive channel, canon stations and three towers and most of these stand in the same manner up to this present day.