The sea mosque or the El Bahar mosque is a mosque that is located near
the port of the ancient city of Akko , it is also known as " the El Mina
mosque " ( the port mosque ) or the Sinan pasha mosque by its builder.
The structure was built in the year 1586 and was the first mosque to be built
in the city since the Mamlucians conquered the land from the crusaders and
destroyed it. It was founded by the ottoman warlord and statesman Sinan Pashas,
but was considerably damaged during the reign of Ahamd El - Jasar in the end of
the 18th century.
His heir Suleiman Pasha revamped the mosque in the
The mosque is pretty small and is divided into a square prayer hall and a
square yard from the north.
The entrance to the yard is on the west end the
leads to" Venice square".
Above the prayer hall there is a large dome
and in the north-west corner of it there is Minaret. Above the main opening
there is a small dome. In the southern side of the prayer hall there are two
windows that have the "Machrab" underneath them.