After conquering Israel at 31BC, the Roman Caesar Augustus handed over to Herods the entire colony of Israel of that time. Herod named the capital Caesrea after the Caesar Augustus. He built up the city between 22-10 BC. Herod established the main port which exists until today, an amusement park, public bath houses and temples. Today this area is very well preserved and is actually one of the most beautiful national archaeological parks in Israel.
Visiting today you will find the remains of the Roman Empire which dominated the land at the times BC, combined with lovely coffee shops and restaurantsoverlooking the sea. Moreover many art galleries and tourist attraction such as the archaeological diving park and Time Trek can be found.
The ancient port city of Caesarea is with out a doubt a destination worth exploring.
Caesarea's ancient port host world renowned art galleries. Below is a short description of the top galleries that can be found around the port.
- Antique Gallery owned by Nisim Abo, has been around for the last 25 years, exhibits glass art work over 2000 years old, and attracts art collectors from all over the world. Tel: 046362950
- Gallery 6 has a wide collection of fine Hamsas and artistic T-shirts, posters and prints on canvas. Tel: 046100562
- Art Nova Gallery A lovely family gallery which was established in 1982, they create 'soft paintings' a unique technique created by local artists. Tel: 046263337
- Roman Glass Jewellery is a new gallery opened in Caesrea's fabulous port offering a variety of over 200 original Roman design in pure silver. Every piece of jewellery consists of a fragment of ancient Roman glass found in the archaeological sites.
- Denon Jewellery Gallery owned by Veronica Blonder offers fashionable jewellery coated in gold and silver, they appear classy and elegant for a fair price (80-300 NIS) This gallery is the main store offering Denon Jewellery in Israel.